Can I recycle old wires and gadgets into other gadgets?

good gadget guide on iPhone 4 Bedienungsanleitung auf Deutsch
good gadget guide image



Evan


Sorry for the confusing title, I wasn't sure how to word it.

My question is, can I recycle old and unused electronics and make new things out of them? For example, I have an old pair of headphones and some extra wiring and a really old IPOD. Can I reuse any of these to make new things? I'm very interested in the workings behind building things from scratch.

I'm guessing that's a very broad questions so if anything, point me in the direction of a very simple beginners guide maybe?

Thanks!



Answer
Sounds like you're interested in learning circuits. I'd suggest starting by just learning how to light diodes and maybe use a voltage regulator. Also, learn what current, voltage, and all of the Electrical terms are associated with this stuff. Learn what transformers on.

Then from there, move on to learning Integrate Circuit (IC) chips. These chips can be used in many applications. A lot of microprocessors these days come with boards where you can switch the chip (the processor), and use another one as long as you read the data sheet.

A lot of the time though, the integrated circuitry in an IPOD is proprietary and the information about it is limited. Doesn't mean you can rip off the head phone jack to power your own player in the future though!

Good luck!

a home made electronics question; How do I make a gadget that allows for tonal recognition?




O.G.


In the pursuit of intellectual curiosity I have been exploring how to make a number of gadgets. I want my next gadget to do this: Recognize one or multiple specific tones and connect different circuits depending upon the tone heard.
Does anybody know a good site to find easy guides? Or perhaps some suggestions of a common object that I can take and modify to make it do what I want?
Thanks



Answer
A couple of ways.
Use LM567 PLL tone decoders, cheap, one for each tone, they can be set up by external components for specific tones. Look for data sheets on the internet. From memory, I think they will sink sufficient current to work a small relay, but check the specs.
They could also be used to supply the matching tones, 1 only for the "transmitter" if set with external resistances to get the required tone sets, but that would mean that only 1 tone could be generated at a time. Multiple 567's would provide multiple tones at once if required.
Another way might be DTMF generators and decoders, but to decode the outputs is more complicated. They are also increasingly more difficult to find. They would give you up to 16 different functions, but only one at any one time.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

 
Home